Stuffed Acorn Squash
with a carrot and fennel puree
• 2 acorn squash
• 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms sliced
• 1 cup brussel sprouts sliced
• 1/3 yellow onion sliced
• 2 tbsp garlic
• 2 tbsp chopped sage
• 1-2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp sea salt
• pepper to taste
• 3 cups chopped carrots
• 11/2c chopped fennel bulb
• 1/2c diced yellow onion
• 1 tsp ground thyme
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 3c low sodium chicken broth
• 1/2c coconut cream
• 2 tbsp ghee
• zest of 1 lemon and 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1/2tsp sea salt
• pepper to taste
1. Combine carrots, fennel, yellow onion, thyme, and olive oil in a pan and cook over medium heat until carrots are tender ( 30 mins).
2. Then season with sea salt, pepper, and thyme. Add in chicken broth to pan and cook down to 3/4 over medium-high heat ( 10mins). A good rule of thumb is when the carrots fall apart when you mash them with a fork they are considered done.
3. Pour ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth and add back to the cooking pan this time on low heat while adding in coconut cream, ghee, and lemon. Let simmer for about another 8-10 mins.
4. Plate about 1c of puree to each plate before placing squash on top.
1. Pre heat oven to 425 and spray a cooking sheet with coconut oil cooking spray.
2. Cut the both squash in half to give you 4 halves and remove seeds from each half with a spoon.
3. Basteeach half with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, in a large cooking pan, spray with cooking spray and add together mushrooms, onion, brussels, andgarlic on medium heat. Let simmer for about 12-15mins.
5. Once all has cooked place mushrooms, brussels, and onions evenly throughout each squash half while adding sage and olive oil. Enjoy!
Krystal has a passion for healthy living and wellness and obtained her Bachelors of Science in nutrition from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Her national certification through NCSF as a CPT, along with another in the world-renowned TRX training system and AAHFF for nutrition, make Krystal a versatile fitness professional. Visit her website, K's Kwik Klean Kitchen to learn more about her!